Wednesday 28 October 2009

Please stand-up for the Science Festival!


The end is now sadly in sight for October's free festival madness as we see the final big event now underway. I have not attended any events at this in previous years, as always tended to think it was rather child-orientated.  Well, a quick scan of the brochure I picked up about a month ago revealed that in fact there are dozens of free events specifically for what I am now technically - an "adult". 

As such, last week I got booking on the excellent website.  Sad to discover the Ardwick train depot tours fully booked, I was pleased to find out everything else wasn't.  Tonight's event at Islington Mill in Salford is the one I am most excited about as it sounds like the lovehild of the comedy and science festivals!  It is a rocket-science themed stand-up show:
"Helen Keen loves space rockets. She brings their story to life with a fusion of stand-up comedy and tinfoil in her highly acclaimed solo show. With Space Nazis, Satanists and Aeronautical Engineers! It is rocket science! will take you on a whistle-stop tour around the great brains who put monkeys, ladies, dogs and gentlemen into orbit. “inspired… crisp sophisticated comedy” (The Guardian)".
  Booking takes place on the website and there are still places available so I would advise anyone with a free evening to go along!

Yesterday's events turned out to be incredibly dull but I think they were just not my kind of thing.  I went to Blackwell's Bookshop on Oxford Road for two talks from authors, one about solving daily-life maths problems like how to cut a cake and thread shoelaces (thought this would suit my OCD nature when it comes to evenness, cutting quiche into three never goes right!) and the other about the world in 100 million years' time!  At least there was free wine and nibbles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment